Sunday, July 31, 2011

Au Revoir Old Pal

I will miss fast internet and carpeted floors, 
little doggies and palm trees.

I will miss having conversations with the bank teller
because he speaks English and enjoys small talk.

I will miss Walmart, Target and Walgreens.

I will miss easy grocery shopping, drive-thru Starbucks, 
and the Rocky Mountains.

I will miss parents and brother and friends.

I will miss Barnes & Nobles and cheap Shampoo.

I will miss the freedom of going where I want to go 
when I want to go there.

I will miss listening to Christian radio any time I want to.

-----------------------------------------------------

I will not miss engine lights, car problems or gas prices.

I will not miss sleeping on the cot in the living room or 
living out of suitcases.

I will not miss leaving tips or paying food tax.

I will not miss commercials, crappy TV or American 
consumerism.

I will not miss complicated technology, having everything 
at my fingertips, or the debt crisis.


It took me about 2 weeks to re-adjust to America, but adjust I did. It's hard to live in dual realities so I kind of had to forget about my life in China and be all here. I gained back my ability to spend money, eat out, enjoy movies on cable, the freedom of driving. But I can't wait to get back to my five flights of stairs to my apartment, walking to a restaurant for dinner, no TV, and overall simpler life. 

Thanks for the all the fun America! See you in a year or two. 



I leave you with...







No comments: